Can Bulldogs Eat Grapes? (It’s Super Dangerous!)

Bulldogs can’t eat grapes. Grapes are highly toxic for dogs of all breeds, and bulldogs are no exception. Make sure you don’t ever give grapes to your dogs. It’s not known what substance causes the toxicity, but what is known is that grapes cause acute kidney failure in dogs.

Since grapes are great fruits, it can be quite disturbing to know that even a couple of pieces can be lethal to our pets.

For this reason, I compiled several related questions to this problem. These questions will help you understand more about the risks of letting your dog eat grapes.

Let’s get into it!

What happens if my bulldog eats a grape?

As I said, grapes are toxic to bulldogs and other breeds as well. If your pet ate a grape by accident, it could damage the kidneys immediately.

A Merck’s Manual study states that affected dogs show symptoms after eating grapes or raisins. If your dog ingested one or more grapes, you can expect the following:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Lack of Appetite
  • Abdominal Pain
  • Dehydration
  • Tremors or Shivering

Most of the affected dogs show such symptoms within 6-12 hours after consuming the grapes. Without the help of a vet, your pet will be in real danger.

For this reason, it’s essential to take your dog to the vet as soon as you know, it consumes grapes, even in small amounts.

You May Also ReadCan bulldogs eat strawberries?

Can a single grape kill a dog?

Although grapes are small, it’s toxicity to dogs is quite significant. Of course, the effect of a single grape will vary on the size of the dog.

For this reason, a piece of grape can do more harm to a small dog than it can to a large one.

If your bulldog is of average size, a single grape may not cause, but it will still induce severe symptoms.

As I said, a single grape can cause vomiting and diarrhea to dogs within 6-12 hours after consumption.

Now, even if your dog is a large breed and it has only eaten a single grape, you should still take it to the vet.

By doing so, you can ensure that the symptoms and the toxin will get addressed. Further, your pet will receive proper medication from an expert.

You May Also ReadCan bulldogs eat bananas?

How many grapes will kill a dog?


While a single grape can already cause severe harm to dogs, add a couple more, and it’s already enough to kill them.

Generally, dangerous doses depend on the size of the dog. For a 10-pound dog, one or two pieces of grapes can already put them in danger.

For bigger dogs weighing an average of 20 pounds, three to four pieces of grapes are already harmful.

The toxicity of a grape lies in the amount and not in the type of grape. For this reason, it doesn’t matter if your dog ate a green, a red, or a dried (raisin) grape.

As long as your pet ate one or more grapes, it can already be in danger.

It’s the flesh of the grape itself that is toxic, not the seeds or the skin.

Although the toxic is unknown, its effect is severe kidney failure. If not taken care of immediately, it leads to affecting other functions of the body as well.

Can dogs survive eating grapes?

While grapes are incredibly harmful to dogs, they can still survive after eating it. However, they can only do so if the problem gets immediately resolved.

There are cases where dogs ate more than five grapes, and they were able to survive.

For your pet to survive, your best bet would be to go to the vet as soon as you realize your pet ate such.

Your vet would probably do some tests and flush out the toxin from the eaten grapes.

According to a story, a particular dog was able to survive after eating 20 grapes.

The dog suffered from kidney failure, the expected effect of grape poisoning on dogs.

Now, it doesn’t mean that you don’t need to worry about your pet if it took any grapes.

What it shows is the value of responding immediately to the situation. By taking your pet to the vet directly, you’ll help your pet from being in danger.

Still, the best way to avoid such unwanted incidents is to keep grapes and other toxic food out of your pet’s reach.

Can bulldogs eat apples or watermelon? Check it out!

What to do if your bulldog ate grapes?

If you suspect that your pet has eaten grapes, or if you see it actually eating one, immediately pull it away if you can. At the same time, you should contact your vet directly.

It would be best to avoid wasting time during such incidents and call for an expert’s assistance.

Grapes and other toxic food have many effects unknown to us, and your best bet is to take your dog to the vet.

Further, poisoning that gets treated and diagnosed immediately has better chances of healing.

It will also be better for your pet’s health. At the same time, you’ll save yourself from expenses from operations if it gets worse.


Grapes may offer quite a great pleasure to us as snacks and desserts. However, they can be lethal to our pets, even in small amounts. For this reason, if you have grapes in your home, keep it out of your pet’s reach and avoid feeding it even in small quantities.

Now, if your pet accidentally ate even a single piece, contact your vet as soon as possible. By doing so, you can avoid making the matter worse and put your pet in danger.


Merck Manual’s study about raisins and grapes for animals

Image credits – Photos by Sébastien LAVALAYE and Maja Petric on Unsplash

Share on: