Who wouldn’t love a jelly, right? As a dog owner, you may have faced many temptations of sharing your favorite food with your pet. While some food can be safe, other food can be toxic. So, for jelly lovers and dog owners at the same time, you probably have asked this question.
So, can dogs eat jelly? Dogs can eat jelly, but they shouldn’t, so you shouldn’t feed your pet or spare it some. Jelly contains loads of sugar, and while it’s not toxic for your pet, it’s also not healthy either. Moreover, too much sugar intake cause leads to diabetes, which is a usual health issue for dogs. Thus, it would be best not to give jelly and go for other alternatives instead.
As pet owners, we usually encounter instances when we get tempted to share what we eat with our pets. Our pets can get jealous and may approach us asking for some. I know it’s quite tempting, but it would be better to check first if it’s alright.
In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about jelly and its effects on our dogs. This way, you’ll be aware of the possible outcomes, so you’ll be more cautious when sharing some jelly with your pet.
Without further ado, let’s get into it!
- 1 Will jelly hurt my dog?
- 2 Risks of feeding your dog jelly
- 3 Can dogs die from eating jelly?
- 4 What happens if my dog eats jelly?
- 5 What to do if your dog ate jelly?
- 6 Summary
- 7 Resources
Will jelly hurt my dog?
A jelly can hurt your dog, especially if it comes with other food toxic for your pet.
Jelly in itself contains too much sugar that can be harmful to your dog. It can worsen if the jelly has some toxic flavor to dogs, even in small amounts.
For instance, some jellies have flavors such as grapes or dried grapes. While these fruits can make jellies fantastic, they can cause our dogs’ toxic effects.
Dogs usually get poisoned by grapes or dried grapes (raisins). These fruits are on the list that you shouldn’t offer to your pet.
Thus, if the jelly has a grape flavor, it would be best not to spare some with your pet. Moreover, always make sure you keep such food out of your dog’s reach.
If your pet would eat grape-flavored jelly, it may cause some severe issues such as kidney failure.
For this reason, avoid giving jelly containing toxic components to dogs at all costs.
You May Also Read – Can dogs eat fish sauce?
Risks of feeding your dog jelly
Jelly isn’t something ideal for dogs to eat. Thus, if you plan on sparing some for your dog, it comes with risks you need to understand.
Learning what’s at stake is crucial for you to avoid unwanted incidents from happening to your pet. Moreover, it will help you be more cautious in dealing with such things.
Here are some of the possible risks that can take a toll on your pet if you give it some jelly.
Jelly contains toxic components.
As I said earlier, jelly isn’t the only thing harmful to dogs. Some varieties of jelly have fruit flavors. While some fruits are alright for dogs, others can be lethal even in small amounts.
For instance, you may want to avoid grape-flavored jelly, as it can be toxic to dogs. Moreover, adding other ingredients such as milk of any kind can cause digestive issues.
As always, it would be best to be aware of the components of the food you offer to your pet. If it contains something toxic, it would be best to stay away from it in the first place.
Jelly contains too much sugar or even xylitol.
Jelly is a popular dessert, and it’s famous for its sweetness. In fact, you can’t even love a jelly that’s not sweet enough.
While sweetness can be a great thing for our tastebuds, it can be harmful to our dogs. Too many sweets coming from sugar can cause health complications. It can even be the start of diabetes.
Now, it doesn’t mean you can go for the sugar-free jellies. Sugar-free products usually contain xylitol as an artificial sweetener. While it’s tolerable for us, it can be dangerous for our pets.
Thus, avoiding jelly treats would be the best way to prevent such incidents from happening.
Can dogs die from eating jelly?
Although it’s not likely that a dog would die due to jelly, it doesn’t mean it’s impossible either.
For instance, jellies containing an artificial sweetener called xylitol is lethal for dogs. Thus, even a small amount can induce extreme complications.
Xylitol is a toxic component for dogs. It can cause hypoglycemia and other issues such as seizures and liver failures. If your pet eats a lot, it can even lead to death.
You May Also Read – Can dogs eat spicy chicken?
What happens if my dog eats jelly?
In general, a small bite of jelly shouldn’t cause your pet any issue. However, it only goes as long as the jelly does not have anything toxic to dogs.
If your dog eats flavored jelly with toxic components, your dog may suffer from complications. Such complication usually comes from the large sugar intake from jelly.
Among the things to observe from your pet are:
- Upset Stomach
- Body Pains
If your pet seems fine after a few days, then there’s no need to worry about it. However, if your pet shows poisoning symptoms, it would be best to contact your vet right away.
What to do if your dog ate jelly?
As I said, jelly shouldn’t cause any issue to your pet as long as it doesn’t contain anything toxic. Here are some things you can do if your dog ate jelly.
Prevent your pet from eating jelly.
The last thing you’ll want is for your pet to eat more jelly. Thus, you should remove any remnants from the area. Wherever it came from, ensure the site is secure and no more remnants.
Understand what happened.
Understanding what happened is necessary for this situation. Thus, it would be best to gather all the information you can get.
Here are a few questions that you need to answer and understand from the scene.
- How much jelly did your pet eat?
- How long has it been since it happened?
- What are the ingredients of that jelly?
- Does it contain anything harmful to dogs?
Getting such information would make you understand how worse the incident is.
Moreover, it will help you report what happened if you visit the vet and ask about what happened.
Take your pet to your vet.
If your dog shows no signs of complications, it’s unnecessary to take it to the vet. However, if your dog shows poisoning symptoms, the vet is your first option.
Is it okay for dogs to eat grape jelly or strawberry jelly? Check it out!
While jelly can be a delightful treat for us, it can be harmful to our dogs. It’s still not healthy for them to eat if not deadly.
Jelly contains way too much sugar, which can take a toll on your pet. Although it’s not entirely toxic, it can cause your pet complications in the long run.
Moreover, some jelly variants may even have toxic items such as grapes. Other sugar-free jellies contain xylitol, which is also lethal to dogs.
I know it can be quite tempting to share some jelly with our pets. However, your dog will enjoy better if you offer healthier alternatives.
Image credits – Canva