My Dog Ate Rock – What to Do?

Dogs don’t seem to run out of surprises for us. One of these ways is by eating the things they shouldn’t. For instance, out of all the things we can imagine, they would eat rocks. While they may look alright, it can be worrisome for us as owners. Thus, it begs the question:

My dog ate rock – what should you know and do? If your dog ate a stone, it’s likely to pass safely through the gut without causing any issue. Thus, in most cases, dogs will be alright, and you won’t have to worry. However, some cases end up causing severe symptoms. It’s through these instances that you need to call a vet.

Dogs are curious animals that would eat anything they can reach. While it’s alright from time to time, some items just pose a threat to their lives. As a pet owner, you probably already know that rock isn’t something you’d like your dog to eat. While it should safely pass through, it still poses a risk for your pet.

In this article, I included some tips and what you need to do if it happens. This way, you can be ready if your pet starts eating a stone.

Without further ado, let’s get into it!

What happens if a dog eats a stone?

Stones pose a threat to dogs if eaten. It can cause an intestinal blockage, which is a severe complication. Aside from the said complication, it can also damage the intestines.

Thus, if left unchecked, a dog that eats a stone can be in danger of many complications.

While it can happen that your pet will be alright, it can also damage your pet’s organs.

For instance, stones can have sharp edges that can damage the internal organs. Rocks can also cause choking hazards and other stomach issues.

For these reasons, stones can cause potent dangers to your pet, and so you should avoid such incidents as much as possible. Now, what should you do if your dog already ate one?

What to do if your dog ate rock?

If your dog ate a rock, chances are it will safely pass through the gut, which would only require you to wait.

However, it can also happen that the stone would block its intestines. If this is the case, your dog may end up vomiting whatever it will eat after ingesting the rock.

Of course, as pet owners, we want to ensure our pet’s safety, and that we need to ensure that nothing is wrong with them.

Here are four simple tips you can do if your dog ate such an item.

Observe your dog.

You need to observe your dog and look for any complication signs after eating a rock.

Some symptoms would mean danger, and if such happens, you may need to call or take your pet to the nearest vet. Among these are vomiting and if you don’t see the stone in its poop.

If your pet seems alright and doesn’t show any signs of severe symptoms, you may proceed with the next one.

Prevent your pet from eating more stones.

The last thing you’ll want is for your pet to eat more stones. Thus, you should put your pet in someplace where it won’t have access to anything inedible.

Dogs usually find stones in gardens and yards where they play. Thus, you may want to secure your pet first in a room until it poops out the rock.

Understand what happened.

Take note of every detail you can gather regarding the incident.

Here are a few questions that you need to answer and understand from the scene.

  • How many rocks did your dog eat?
  • How big was the stone your pet ingested?
  • How long has it been since it happened?
  • Did its poop contain rock?

Getting such information would make you understand how worse the incident is.

Moreover, it will help you report what happened if you visit the vet and ask about what happened.

Take your pet to your vet.

A rock gives out quite a lot of risk for your pet out of all the things. Thus, such an incident needs consultation with the vet.

It would be best to give your vet a call and state every piece of information about the incident. He or she will surely ask that you bring your pet to have it checked.

Your vet will ask you for all the necessary information. That’s the reason why you need to know everything about the incident.

Take note. As long as your pet doesn’t release the stone, you can’t be confident about its condition.

How to recognize that your dog ate stone?

Since some stones come in a small size, it can be hard to tell if your dog swallowed it since it won’t have any remains.

Due to varying sizes, it’s not likely to have any traces. Of course, if it’s inside the case, it should completely disappear. However, that would mean a worse case.

Moreover, it would be best to keep an eye on your pet and observe for the next hours for any signs or symptoms.

Among the complications your pet can have would be an intestinal blockage or choking. Thus, if you see such problems with your pet, contact a vet right away.

You can also check their poop to see if the rock is there. If you didn’t know any stone after a day, it would be best to consult a vet and have your pet checked.

dog and rocks

Can dogs die from eating stones?

It’s not likely to happen that a rock can kill a dog. However, it’s not impossible either.

Stones can cause many kinds of problems to your pet. Thus, it poses a lot of risk for your dog if consumed.

For instance, if left unchecked, dogs can die from intestinal blockage caused by the rocks they would eat.

Another thing is that eating a rock can cause choking, leading to death.

As always, never let your pet eat stone because it will put its life at risk of many things.

Can a dog pass a rock?

A dog may pass a rock, but even if it does, it may cause damage to the body.

Stones have a sturdy texture and composition that can cause blockage and choking. Moreover, the sizes vary, and your dog can eat big ones, which could worsen.

Of course, if your pet doesn’t show any adverse reaction after eating a rock, you can wait it out and check its poop for it.

It may pass the stone. However, I’d recommend that you have your pet checked by your vet.

This way, you can be confident your pet doesn’t suffer any complications from the incident.

How long does it take for a dog to pass rocks?

Like all other objects, rocks wouldn’t get digested in a dog’s stomach. Thus, it would likely pass through, and it may take as soon as two hours.

If your dog eats a small stone, it’s likely to happen that it will get mixed in the poop.

However, if it’s a big one, it can cause intestinal blockage, which can be dangerous.

For this reason, always keep an eye on your pet and check on it every time it plays outside.

How big of a rock can a dog pass?

In general, a small rock would cause your pet to vomit to spit it out of its system. If the stone is large, the vomiting tendency will increase.

Accordingly, if the rock your pet eats can make the size of a golf ball, it can cause your pet to vomit 20 times a day.

Thus, if your pet’s stomach gets entirely blocked by the stone, it won’t be able to keep anything in it and throw it all up through vomiting.

Related: Dog Ate Gravel

How to stop dog from eating rocks?

As I said earlier, dogs have many reasons why they eat rocks. It can be due to health complications, or it can be as simple as trying to get your attention.

Thus, they would tend to sniff and eat rocks, despite the object being inedible.

Such an instinct can be hard to take away. Thus, the best way to stop your dog from eating pads is by keeping an eye on your pet every time it plays outside.

Since there are stones everywhere, keeping them out of your pet’s reach would be impossible. Thus, you need to keep an eye on your pet, so it avoids eating such.

As a general rule of thumb, preventing your pet from reaching any rock is the best way to avoid such incidents. 


Rocks may be inedible, but it doesn’t mean your pet dog won’t eat one. Although they may like to eat one, it’s dangerous for their health.

The thing about rocks stones is that they can cause severe complications. Among these are potential choking and intestinal blockage.

For this reason, a visit to the vet is essential if your pet shows signs such as vomiting. Moreover, it’s also best to call a vet if your pet doesn’t have any of the stone it ate in its poop.

As long as you’re confident that your pet ate a rock, be sure to take it to the vet so it receives proper treatment.


Image credits – Canva

Share on: