Our dogs don’t seem to run out of ways to surprise us. One of these ways is by eating the things they shouldn’t. For instance, there go our earbuds lying on a table or in bed. A few moments after, our dogs seem to enter, and the earbuds disappear. Since it’s usually made of rubber, it begs the question:
My dog ate rubber earbuds: What should I do? Earbuds are not digestible, and so they should safely pass through their gut without issues. Thus, in most cases, dogs will be alright, and you won’t have to worry. However, even if your pet shows no problems, it would still be best to contact a vet and ask for advice.
Dogs are curious animals that would eat anything they can reach. While it’s alright from time to time, some items just pose a threat to their lives. As a pet owner, you probably already know that rubber is nothing but a chemical. While it should safely pass through, it still poses a risk for your pet.
In this article, I included some tips and what you need to do if it happens. This way, you can be ready if your pet starts eating such a thing.
Without further ado, let’s get into it!
- 1 What should I do if my dog ate rubber earbuds?
- 2 What happens if a dog eats rubber earbuds?
- 3 Can a dog die from eating a rubber?
- 4 What should I do if my dog ate a silicone ear plug?
- 5 What happens if a dog eats earplugs?
- 6 Can silicone kill dogs?
- 7 Can rubber earbuds and silicone earplugs pass through a dog’s digestive system?
- 8 How can you tell if a dog has a blockage?
- 9 How can I help my dog pass an object?
- 10 When should you take your dog to the vet?
- 11 Summary
- 12 Resources
What should I do if my dog ate rubber earbuds?
If your dog ate rubber earbuds, then the best thing to do is take your dog to the vet as soon as possible. Do it, especially if your dog suffers from symptoms such as vomiting or if it shows any pain.
If your pet seems alright even after ingestion, then you may want to observe your pet first. Still, you need to call a vet and ask for assistance regarding the matter.
Once you call your vet, he may recommend bringing your pet to the clinic to get tested. The vet will examine your dog, including checking the mouth and esophagus.
Since earbuds may contain batteries, it can cause acid burns in the esophagus and mouth if chewed.
The vet may also run some blood tests and an x-ray. It will further diagnose where the earbuds are and show whether it’s whole or chewed.
You May Also Read – My dog ate a pork bone, will he be OK?
What happens if a dog eats rubber earbuds?
As I said, rubber earbuds are way softer than other items your pet eats. Thus, it may safely pass through the gut without causing issues.
While it can happen that your pet will be alright, it can also damage your pet’s organs.
For instance, all kinds of earbuds usually contain wires, polymers, metals, and batteries.
The metals and other parts can cause choking hazards or other stomach issues. It can also cause a blockage in the intestines.
Aside from the metals, the batteries are also a concern. Some earbuds contain batteries since they are often wireless.
Batteries contain acidic substances that can cause burns and ulcerations in the mouth. It can also cause damage the tongue, esophagus, and other parts.
It’s not likely to cause issues if swallowed whole since it has a cover that won’t get digested. However, if your dog chewed the item, the battery may be exposed, which may harm your pet.
Can a dog die from eating a rubber?
If it’s the rubber in an earplug that you worry about, it’s not likely to cause an issue. The rubber in the ear plugs is small enough to cause damage.
More often than not, the rubber will only pass through without any problem. However, if your pet started exhibiting signs or symptoms, it would be best to consult a vet for it.
The symptoms your pet will show may be a sign of a severe underlying complication. Thus, your pet needs immediate care and attention to avoid worse conditions.
What should I do if my dog ate a silicone ear plug?
A silicone ear plug isn’t likely to cause a problem to your pet, just like rubber.
Silicon has a soft texture that will simply pass through your pet’s gut. Moreover, if it’s an ear plug, it will be so small that it would hardly cause obstruction.
Of course, it will be an entirely different case once your pet starts choking or vomiting.
If such an incident happens after your dog ate a silicone ear plug, contact a vet right away.
What happens if a dog eats earplugs?
As I said earlier, a dog is less likely to suffer any complications if it eats ear plugs. Since these things are relatively small, it should safely pass through the gut without any problem.
Another thing to note is how your pet will eat the ear plug. It would be better if your dog swallowed it whole rather than chewed.
If your dog swallowed it whole, the ear plugs would likely pass through without the components harming your pet.
However, if your dog chews the ear plugs, its components inside would get exposed, and the batteries and metals may harm your dog.
Another thing is that the ear plugs can cause a blockage. While it’s so small for dogs to cause an obstruction, it can be enough for small dogs.
As always, constant observation and readiness are necessary in case your pet needs immediate care and attention.
Can silicone kill dogs?
If a dog ingests silicon, it’s more likely to cause problems such as a blockage than poisoning.
While it’s true that silicon is a chemical, it’s still something that can safely pass through without problems.
Thus, you should worry more about the item causing an obstruction rather than the possible poisoning.
You May Also Read – My dog ate a bird, should you be worried?
Can rubber earbuds and silicone earplugs pass through a dog’s digestive system?
The short answer is yes. Rubber earbuds, as well as silicone earplugs, can pass through a dog’s digestive system.
Dogs can take in many times, even the ones we don’t imagine they would. Thus, they can eat even the weirdest items without causing an issue.
If your dog eats a rubber earbud or a silicone earplug, it’s more likely to pass through the gut without a problem.
Still, it poses a particular risk of causing an obstruction. While it’s not likely to happen, it would be best to prepare for the worst.
How can you tell if a dog has a blockage?
Intestinal blockage is one of the typical problems vets and pet owners encounter with their dogs.
Since our canine pets are curious animals, they can sniff and eat anything they can reach. Thus, a blockage is one of the things that usually happen to them.
While it’s familiar, it doesn’t mean it’s a mild issue. Blockages can cause severe effects on dogs and put your pet at risk if left unchecked.
For this reason, you need to determine the symptoms of blockage to tell whether your pet suffers from it or not.
If your pet ingested something, the signs of blockage can be any of the following:
- Drooling excessively
- Loss of appetite
- Bloated, painful abdomen
- Constipation or diarrhea
As soon as you find out your pet exhibits any of these after ingesting an object, contact a vet right away.
How can I help my dog pass an object?
Since dogs eat what they reach, they usually pass such through if it’s indigestible.
While it happens most of the time, some items tend to cause issues that can be problematic for us as pet owners.
Thus, we need to help our dog pass an object, and we can do so by feeding a bulky meal of dry food.
A bulky meal of dry food will act as a cushion to the objects, helping them move on out.
Food also turns into digestive juices. Such components can help soften wads of rawhide treats. With such, the items can move smoothly, avoiding any obstruction.
When should you take your dog to the vet?
Of course, sometimes, your pet needs immediate care from an expert. Without the help, your pet’s life can be in danger.
For this reason, you need to know when you can take your pet to the vet for immediate attention.
If you don’t know when to take your dog to the vet, you may look for the following warning signs.
According to HealthLine, here are the following signs when you need to take your dog to a vet.
- Odd eating habits
- Excessive thirst
- Rough or dry coat
- Unusual stool
- Sudden weight loss
- Cloudy or red eyes
- Scooting or dragging the rear
- Emergency symptoms
Vomiting and diarrhea are the usual symptoms you’ll see if your pet ingested something they shouldn’t.
Once you see any of these after eating something, you need to take your pet to the vet right away.
What should you do if your dog ate an AirPod or a rib bone? Check it out!
Rubber earbuds are prominent these days. We even have it wireless, in small pieces. Thus, we likely leave it lying around. If you have a dog, such items tend to be objects for them to eat. While they would do so, it doesn’t mean it’s safe.
Of course, the earbuds are likely to pass through without causing issues. However, it’s also important to note that it’s still dangerous for our pets.
For this reason, take it as a lesson not to have these items lying around in areas where your dog can access them.
Image credits – Canva
 HealthLine’s article on the signs when to take a dog to the vet